Transnet Freight Rail invites suitably qualified applicants to apply for the Trainee Train Assistant Vacancies. The Closing date for applications is the 1st July 2022
Applicants that are interested in applying for any of the advertised positions must apply by registering on the Careers section of the Transnet Internet. Please take care in completing all required details on the profile, and then apply for the position.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that HR has received the application before the closing date of the advertisement.
Note: if you have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date of this advertisement please consider your application as unsuccessful.
Any questions regarding the application or recruitment process should be sent in writing to [email protected]
We urge all our employees, clients, members of the public and our suppliers to report any kind of fraud or corruption at Transnet. Call the hotline toll free number: 0800 003 056 or email [email protected]
Assist the Train Driver in the safe and efficient driving/handling of all different types of trains/locomotive consists (airbrake, vacuum, high speed, heavy haul and passengers) to ensure that the customers freight/cargo reaches its destination in good condition, on time, in order to enable the organisation to satisfy the customers’ needs.
- Sign on duty at designated work place and be allocated duties to be performed for the duration of the shift.
- Prepare locomotives
- Prepare communication equipment
- Performs the pre-trip preparation of the Locomotives and the whole Train prior the departure to adhere to roadworthiness and train working rules and safety standards
- Execute shunting activities in sidings and enroute according to directives to enhance safe working procedures
- Assist the train driver enroute to ensure the safe movement of the train from a required point to the destination, without delays or damage to locomotives, wagons, infrastructure track and other equipment, to ensure predictable service
- Comply to safety standards and laid down instruction to ensure that he is well motivated and competent
- Provide accurate feedback timeously to the Train Driver regarding any incidents and deviations along the route
- Assist in performing various administration duties
- Complete the Train journal and submit to the Section manager at sign-off after every shift to ensure timeous and accurate processing of monthly salary
Qualifications & Experience:
- Grade 12 with pure Mathematics and/or Physical Science
- Functional Training
- Be prepared to successfully undergo Train Assistant duties (theoretical and practical) so as to be certified to work independently as a Train Assistant.
- Be prepared to undergo periodic medical surveillance and safety behavioral risk assessments during the selection process and every 12 months
- Physical hearing, vision, mental, fitness (to be verified through medical tests and related safety behavioural risk assessments)
- The operator shall not allow employees younger than 21 years of age to undertake train driver or train control duties. (SANS 3000, par 22.214.171.124)
CLOSING DATE: 01 JULY 2022